Thursday, October 13, 2011

hope warrior

I wrote this post on January 9, 2011.  It has a very special meaning to me, and because this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I think we should be more aware of the fight to cure ALL cancer. It took my father from me 11 years ago, and I still miss him every day.  I would appreciate it if you would please read this and share. ~cath xo   


It's been one of those weeks.  The kind that make me feel like everything I touch is going to dung.  And that is putting it nicely.  Work has been tough.  People seem to be touchy and weirdly out of sorts after the holidays, and tempers are short.  Reports of acts of violence abound in the news, and it just accumulates on my shoulders, weighing me down.

This has all lead to a general sadness and irritability of my own because I have had to deal with so much STUFF this week.  When I am in this kind of mood I usually don't sleep well, and sure enough I was awake all night last night, and tired today when I had things I had to get done before *gasp* snow hits Alabama tomorrow night. 

And here I was again tonight, white-eyed.  Feeling pretty heavy in the spirit.  I decided to come in and work on my website and revamp it.  I sat down at the computer to start, and looked to the side where Steve laid the mail he picked up today. 

And I saw it.  And suddenly my spirit started to lift.  I was amazed.  This is why:

A few months ago by a strange twist of fate I made a new friend on Facebook.  We kind of got slung together in an odd way, but struck up a friendship pretty fast.  She is a great person, and we have a lot in common, including our name, and some differences that make our friendship interesting. 

She told me about a friend of hers battling cancer, and said that on days the friend had chemo, there was a group of people supporting her with positive thoughts and everyone was thinking "shrink, erase, eradicate" during her treatment.  Sending positive thoughts to her.  So I added Jackie to my running chat with the almighty and began to think "SEE" on the Wednesdays she had treatment.  Even though I don't personally know Jackie, I do believe that positive thoughts can effect outcomes.  My friend Kathy said that Jackie's supporters are called the Hope Warriors, and asked me if I would like a bracelet to wear to remind me (not that I needed reminding but I liked the idea of a visible link to something that is spiritual) so I said YES!  Kathy took my address and passed it on to Jackie's husband, and told me they had dropped it in the mail.  This happened at the end of September.

It never came.  And the strange thing was, it was the last one they had.  At first I was disappointed but I told Kathy it probably got lost in the mail, and I still felt just as connected to the rest of the group SEEing on those chemo Wednesdays.  I thought about it from time to time, but really didn't have any hope that it would arrive.  Too much time had gone by.

WRONG!!!  I was sifting through that pile of mail tonight, when I saw a small brown manila envelope with my name on it.  It was dated September 30 on the postage.  I wondered what it was, and noticed it was pretty dog earred looking, then I saw the return address on it, and ripped it open in excitement! 

And as I looked at that small white bracelet, I felt my spirit turn, my mood lift, and hope reignite inside me.  That was when I realized how lucky I am.  Whenever I start to feel that life is negative energy, and sadness starts to fill me up inside, something happens, and my karma turns.  I am a hope warrior, and always have been.  Being human, I slip, and slide downward at times to low points, but something always happens to remind me there is always hope, and negativity is self fulfilling if you let it grab your spirit.

I will cherish this small reminder of hope on my wrist, and think of Jackie as she continues her fight against cancer.  And I will always be reminded of the hope I felt when I received this gift. 

I follow her husband's blog, Adventures of the Hope Warriors, and hope you will all visit this blog too and see what positive, uplifting reading it is.  And join us as we SEE! for Jackie (Shrink, Erase, Eradicate!). 
HOPE.  Invisible but powerful, and always there. 
                                       I am a hope warrior.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you Cathy. That was beautiful xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. Yes you are a Hope Warrior. I love you sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cathy! How beautiful! I, too, am having a horrible week! My friend was hospitalized with an unknown mass, another friend's mom is getting closer to leaving the earthplane and I am so worried about her and her sister, and work is dwindling and I am worried about my job. Then I take a moment and gaze at the white bracelet I, too, wear on my left wrist and realize there are bigger things out there. Thanks for putting things in prospective. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I shared this particular thought with y'all. Sometimes I hesitate because things aren't always "happiness and light" with me, but life is what it is and I feel that sharing things makes life more bearable. Thanks for all the comments!
    xo cath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Cathy what a beautiful blog and surprise! I love it!!! I am defintely going to pop into this blog and have a look. Thank you so much for sharing and treasure your gift and new friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be inspired by the upbeat attitude and hopeful nature of the blog Nelieta! It is an awesome read.
    Thanks for the sweet comments Nelieta I really appreciate the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree...beautiful. I'm so glad you finally got your bracelet and the chants are working! Thanks...it means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear it every day and when I touch it I think of you Jackie, and what a brave, strong woman you are, the real warrior among us. Thank you again for sending me my hope warrior bracelet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. In mysterious ways ... That makes it all the more special. Thank you for sharing this story again - for those if us who hadn't seen it..

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful story! When the week is horrible, you have to find a special lucky charm...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, I am so glad you shared this. I going to hop on over tho the other blog. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Thom Brown And thank you for your always thoughtful comments Thom. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @MuMuGB That was most definitely that type of moment for me Muriel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jan Thanks Jan for such a sweet comment. :D I am sure you will find the other blog inspiring. Jackie has been an inspiration to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @vix I knew you would appreciate it sister. xo

    ReplyDelete