Wednesday, March 21, 2012

relaxed housewife: rice and beans

I went out to lunch the other day.  One of my favorite Mexican restaurants.  The food is fantastic and the service is always great.  I had a bit of a glitch ordering that day though.  It felt like an Abbott and Costello skit by the time the server and I understood each other.  The confusion had nothing to do with a language barrier either.  I think it was just that I was trying to talk with a friend and place my order at the same time.  It went something like this:

Me: I'd like two enchiladas please.  With ground beef.  (I felt it was important to make sure he understood the  ground beef part.  I soon found out that was the easy part.)
Server: You want two enchiladas with ground beef.
Me: Yes.
Server: Would you like rice and beans with that?
Me: No rice and beans.
Server: You don't want rice and beans.
Me: Yes.
Server: You do want rice and beans?
Me: No, I don't want rice and beans.
Server: You don't want rice and beans?
Me: Yes.
Server: Yes you do want rice and beans?
Me: No, I do not want rice and beans.
Server: You do not want rice and beans.
Me: (By now I realized if I answered yes we'd be off on another round of rice and beans.) Yes, I do not want any rice and beans.  No rice and beans.  None.  Just the enchiladas.  Two.  Ground beef.  On a plate.
Server: Ok, I got it.  (But at this point when he read back our order, he had gotten so confused he had to retake the other orders because he wasn't sure he had gotten any of it right.)

I made sure to tip him well.  He earned it.  And I got my enchiladas without rice and beans.


~cath xo
Twitter @jonesbabie
Post a Comment