Wednesday, July 11, 2012

requiem for bugs bunny

Just two weeks ago, summer was lush and verdant.  The garden promised bountiful produce that would put a table full of vegetables on our table, as well as a steady supply for many family members and friends.


That was before the drought and heat of June.  It seemed as though our garden turned overnight from a thing of lush green beauty to a thing of dried up tinder.  


We still had some tomatoes though...and Steve prayed for rain on the late beans that had some tender young small beans starting to sprout.  And the rain did start...yesterday.


Then Bugs Bunny arrived. Steve turned from a loving gramps into a stalker of bunny tails...one tail in particular.  He cussed and ranted and I laughed, thinking he wouldn't bother one little bunny who couldn't possibly eat what was left of the garden...


Wrong.  Just like Steve believes every snake is a poisonous snake, he gave this rabbit the power of a legendary jackalope.
And turned into Elmer Fudd...with a rifle.  (Remember we live in the country, where carrying a gun in your yard is a natural thing, and using said gun doesn't even make the neighbors jump.)


As I drove up tonight, I saw Bugs sitting in our yard, and he saw me, and ran to the beans.  I went on inside and told Steve that Bugs was back and doing well, sitting right in the middle of our beans.  I had to jump back out of the way as Steve grabbed his rifle and ran barefoot into our yard (which has more stickers than grass in it), and stalked poor Bugs down and blasted him into the hereafter.


Bless you Bugs... Requiescat in pace ...


I will think of you with every bean and tomato I don't pick.      




...life is good. ~cath 
@jonesbabie on Twitter

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. no, actually dooj is the family tattletale...I just report things. Like a journalist. :D

      Delete
  2. Remind me NOT to poach from your garden! Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I decide I do want to pick something from the garden, I better not wear my Easter Bunny ears. :D Thanks Thom.

      Delete
  3. Only in the country, only in America. RIP, Bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a Bugs day out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Hajra, the bunny never knew what hit him. :D

      Delete
  5. Ah, the countryside! I don't have such problems in London...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say that with caution Muriel...there are rats in cities you know. :D

      Delete
  6. We had the same problem when we were still in IL. Those damn bunnies ate our plants and nice flowering shrubs....I hated them! Oddly, I haven't seen any here in our TN home. I hope I did not just jinx my self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe all the bunnies traveled to Alabama Joy. :D

      Delete
  7. Holy moly! Let that be a lesson to Peter Cottontail! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is Sunday today, is it not? Loved your story, Cathy, absolutely hilarious, I can imagine Steve chasing those poor buggers with a rifle at all times - a man with a mission! What did you do with it? Stew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing funnier than a man in flip flops chasing rabbits in the yard...unless it is a man with a BB gun chasing a goat in the yard...but that's another story...

      Delete
  9. I'm a city folk, who loves bunnies ~ so i am sobbing ....

    ReplyDelete