Friday, August 5, 2011

phobia phright

Once upon a time, there was a Little Girl with a blonde ponytail who loved to take walks with her favorite little red wagon.

Little Girl had a Grammy who loved her dearly.  She loved to visit her Grammy and play outside with the red wagon.

Grammy lived close to the highway, and her driveway was not very far from that highway.

Grammy would tell her little granddaughter not to go near the highway with the red wagon.  At first, Little Girl listened.  But soon she got carried away with all the fun she was having and walked closer and closer to the highway.

One day she got all the way to the end of the driveway.  Grammy started looking for Little Girl, and found her close to the highway.

What was Grammy to do?  She thought and thought about it and then decided to teach Little Girl why she shouldn't go near the highway.

So Grammy took Little Girl's hand and together they walked to the end of the driveway, up to the very edge of the highway.  Little Girl held tight onto her Grammy's hand.  Grammy began to explain why she shouldn't go near the highway.  Grammy explained that there were lots of cars and big trucks on the highway, and that Little Girl could get hurt very badly if she wandered out into traffic.

Little Girl listened very carefully to her Grammy.  As she listened, she watched the cars and trucks go by.  The trucks were very big, and as they drove by, Little Girl could feel the wind hit her face as they rushed past.  This scared Little Girl.  She realized how dangerous these trucks could be, and how much bigger than her they were.

Grammy stood by the road with Little Girl for several minutes, letting her feel the power of the machines as they went by.  Then Grammy led Little Girl back down the driveway to the house.

Little Girl never went near the highway again.


Little Girl grew up to be me.  I realize now what an important lesson my Grammy was teaching me that day.  But I also have a phobia about being near trucks now.  I cannot drive side by side on the highway without finding my heart beating faster, and anxiety rising up in my throat so palpably that I feel as though I will choke on it.  That was a very important lesson Grammy taught me.  I was about 4 or 5 when it happened.  Over 50 years later I remember it as though it was yesterday.


Thank you Grammy for loving me enough to take the time to teach me a lesson.  And making me realize that I never wanted to be a truck driver.  Ever.  :D

~cath
Twitter @jonesbabie
Post a Comment