Wednesday, February 6, 2013

the ups and downs of life...

Life is full of ups and downs.  Everyone knows this.  Some have more than their share of downs, so I am not complaining too much.  But this week has been a bit o' the down for me.  Not enough to affect my mood, just enough to make me more ruminative about life in general.

Among other things:
My trapezius muscle on my left shoulder has been so tight that it makes my neck pop and hurt.  I tried muscle relaxants (I have had the bottle for over two years) and they helped.  Started getting back massages and that helped, and began yoga classes three weeks ago that also help.  But a few days ago the pain became an agony.  And being the proactive person I am, I did the next thing...I went to my doc and got a trigger point injection, then came home and took more meds.  And finally it is easy...

I found out the little spot I have had on my hand that has bothered me for the past few months is a basal cell carcinoma.  So it is scheduled to be removed by a surgeon...now get this next part...this is the irony that is my life.  The appointment is for Valentine's Day.  So Stevie Wonder is going to get to spend it driving me to and from Birmingham...I think I might moan after I get out of surgery and maybe cry a little too...then I just might get lucky and score....chocolate.  I'm really going to miss this spot...I'm kind of attached to my own skin...and hate to lose any of it.

All the things I have dealt with are nothing really...just blips on the radar of my life...the thing that really concerns me and is causing a bit of anxiety is the fact that the hard drive I stored all the photos I had taken, on all my computers, cameras and iPhone...are trapped.  The hard drive went down and I can't get the photos off. I have several projects waiting on those photos.  The drive holds several thousand photos...all the way back to when I first started taking photos.

We took the hard drive to Best Buy the other day.  They are sending it off to a lab for a level one recovery.  That cost us $250.  If it goes to level 2, that will be about $600.  It could go as high as $1000 for recovery.  When the tech told us that, Steve looked at me and said "it's not worth that much."

I felt like my heart had been hammered when he said that.  Yes, it is expensive, but those photos are my passion, and a record of my life and my family for years....all our travels, the birth of the grands, holidays, vacations, and just everyday stuff.  To me there is no price on that.  If those are lost, a big piece of my soul goes with them.  (If you think your files are safe on an external hard drive, in case your computer crashes...just realize as I did, too late, that those crash too.  I am looking into Carbonite now, an online storage back up system for your files.)

Sooo, my karma sucks right now...which is nothing new...it cycles, and the year of the dragon is about over, so I was kind of expecting it.  When bad karma strikes, I do what I always do.

I turn to music and my camera.  I've been listening to I Will by Matchbox 20.  (I bought it on iTunes.)  Here is 4 minutes of my life...all photos have been taken by me, (unless I was in the photo with other people).

This, too, shall pass...

...life is good. ~cath
find me @jonesbabie on Twitter