Thursday, January 27, 2011

tooth envy

Yesterday my oldest grandson Jack lost his first tooth.  It wasn't just the first tooth for him.  It was the first tooth for our family.

There has been a race on to see who would lose the first tooth.  Jack and the twins, Maddie and Duncan, are only 6 months apart in age.  And this year they are started "real" kindergarten.  (Maddie and Duncan have been in daycare "school" for so many years that they call it going to school with the "school agers".)  And being with so many kids their own ages, naturally they noticed that other kids were losing teeth.

I think it bothered Maddie the most.  She has tooth envy to the point that we caught her trying to loosen her teeth herself.  I had to explain to her (and so did her mom) that what loosens a tooth is the tooth coming in under it, and if she loosened and pulled one too soon, there wouldn't be a tooth there to grow in.  That stopped her.  At least we haven't caught her openly attempting to loosen any more teeth.

So yesterday Jim sends me the photo of Jack's first tooth hole.  And then Jim calls Jen to tell her that Jack lost his first tooth.  Jen excitedly tells the twins.  Their reaction?

Maddie: (rolling her eyes condescendingly) I really don't care.
Dunc: HOW'D HE LOSE IT?

And you can see from Jack how happy he is.  Because this means the tooth fairy will be visiting him.  I hope the tooth fairy is prepared.  She has two more kids right behind him she'll be putting on her tooth fairy route soon.

I have the sneaking suspicion Maddie will be next.

2 comments:

  1. I am so on Team Maddie! I didn't lose a single tooth until second grade! It was awful! Every time someone in my kindergarten class lost a tooth, they got to write on a special mural in the classroom. But not me! And in second grade, I lost 8 teeth--and they sent me to speech therapy because I lisped. Well, what do you know? I didn't have any teeth!

    Take care!
    Karen

    PS: Congrats to Jack :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest daughter Jen didn't get her first tooth until I was about to give up on her, and she didn't crawl until she was 13 months old...

    but I feel your pain...and can't help but laugh...I had to start wearing glasses because my family realized I was going blind when I was about 8 or 9 years old, and I would hide them when I didn't have to see with them, until the day I lost them in a fied walking home, and got it with the yardstick when mom caught up with chasing me around the house (yardsticks don't hurt with you get hit with them by the way..they just break :D)...I felt so nerdy I hated it...now kids want glasses to look "chic"...how times have changed...

    let's just hope you don't go through the same thing when you get to 90... :D

    and thanks...Jack is the proud owner of the first Jack O Lantern smile in our family!

    ReplyDelete