Saturday, January 22, 2011

the d list

Mom messages me in FB tonight.  Private message, because she doesn't want one of her fourteen friends on Facebook to see it.  Seems a neighbor across the street passed away.

Mom does that.  Keeps us up to date on the important stuff.  My warped sense of humor kicks in.

Mom: I just found out Bill across the street passed away last Sunday...he was 81, and 4 others have passed away in the park.  (No mom doesn't live on a bench in a park, that is what they call a mobile home enclosure in California, it sounds more pastoral.)
Me: Sorry for Bill, mom... (and his wife too).  You better hope it's not an epidemic.

Yep, I said that to my mom.  You are probably saying I am awful.  Actually, mom has told me that several times too. 

But mom laughed...actually she typed lol, but I knew she was smiling...then she adds:

"the bulletin said most of them died from pneumonia.  I had mine last year.  lol."

So now you see I come by it honestly.  Mom can actually joke about being in the hospital and almost dying with pneumonia.

I was laying there in bed, reading this on my iPhone (an insomnomaniac's best friend).  As I lay there thinking, I suddenly got hit by a thought, or series of thoughts...

What kind of park bulletin is it that gives the residents a death list, and causes?  Dang, you are talking about a bunch of people who are living with the grim reaper in their closets, so why add insult to injury and rub their noses in it?

I mean, shouldn't they be listing squirrel sightings, who just put up a new lamp post, or who just got new teeth... something benign and cheery like that? 

This place sounds more and more like Pet Semetary...and my mom's the resident poodle...

No comments:

Post a Comment